Student Consumer Information

The federal government mandates that institutions of higher learning that receive federal funds must disclose certain information about the institution to enrolled students, prospective students, and members of the community.  The following is a list of the required information.  If you have any questions about any of the following links or information, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 423-442-2001.

General Student Information

The information provided under this section will allow students to access general information about Hiwassee College.  Prospective students and current students can see what academic programs Hiwassee has to offer and the costs related to attendance.

General school information:

Contact Information: Contact Us

Driving Directions: Driving Directions

Academic Programs

A list of all academic programs offered by Hiwassee College, including details and requirements of each program, can be found by clicking on the link below:

Academic Programs: Academic Degrees & Programs Offered


Hiwassee College is accredited by:

  • United States Department of Education
  • Council for Higher Education Accreditation
  • State of Tennessee
  • Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools

Our accreditation ensures that our students have access to Pell Grants and all other grants, scholarships, and loans provided by the federal government. In addition, Hiwassee College accreditation ensures that students are eligible to receive Tennessee HOPE funds.

Hiwassee College is a member of the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools (TRACS) [15935 Forest Road, Forest, VA 24551; Telephone: (434) 525-9539; e-mail:] having been awarded Reaffirmation I of its Accredited Status as a Category II institution by the TRACS Accreditation Commission on October 30, 2018. This status is effective for a period of ten years. TRACS is recognized by the United States Department of Education (USDOE), the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and the International Network for Quality Assurance Agencies in Higher Education (INQAAHE).

Student Body Diversity

For information on the diversity of Hiwassee College student population please access the following link.

Retention Rate

The retention rate is the percentage of students who enter the college one year and continue to the next.  The following link provides the retention rate for each year up to the 2012-2013 academic year. Quick-Facts

Cost of Attendance

Each year, Hiwassee College develops student expense budgets (cost of attendance), using US Department of Education guidelines.  These are used to determine students’ financial need at Hiwassee.  Students’ expense budgets include approximate tuition and fee costs, as well as allowances for the cost of books and supplies, transportation, food, housing, and personal expenses.  These expense budgets represent the maximum amount of financial aid that students may receive from all sources, including student loans.

Cost of Attendance Budgets:       2016-2017          2017-2018           2018-2019

Financial Assistance Available to Students

Hiwassee College provides a variety of financial assistance programs for students who qualify.  To access this information click here.

Financial Aid Award Terms & Conditions

The terms and conditions outline information about federal, state, and institutional policies and regulations.  In order to receive financial aid, each student must read and accept the terms and conditions before financial aid will be disbursed to their student account in the Business Office.

Financial Aid Awards Terms & Conditions: award terms_and_conditions

Satisfactory Academic Progress

All students are required to maintain a minimum level of performance in their classes in order to be eligible for renewal of Financial Aid.  This is called Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

If students meet these standards, they are eligible to be considered for financial aid, provided they also meet all other financial aid requirements.

If students do not meet these standards, they are not eligible to receive financial aid, including summer terms.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Entrance and Exit Loan Counseling

Entrance Counseling 

What is Entrance Counseling?

If you have not previously received a Direct Loan or Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL), the Federal Government requires you to complete entrance counseling to ensure that you understand the responsibilities and obligations you are assuming.

For additional information and to complete the entrance counseling click here.

Exit Counseling 

What is Exit Counseling?

Exit counseling provides important information to prepare you to repay your federal student loan(s).

If you have received a subsidized, unsubsidized or PLUS loan under the Direct Loan Program or the FFEL Program, you must complete exit counseling each time you:

  • Drop below half-time enrollment
  • Graduate
  • Leave school

For additional information and to complete the exit counseling click here.

PLUS Credit Counseling

What is PLUS Credit Counseling?

PLUS Credit Counseling will help students and parents understand the obligations associated with borrowing a PLUS loan and assist them in making careful decisions about taking on student loan debt.

PLUS Credit Counseling is required if the U.S. Department of Education has informed you that you have an adverse credit history and you have:

  • Obtained an endorser or
  • Documented extenuating circumstances to the satisfaction of the U.S. Department of Education

PLUS Credit Counseling can be completed voluntarily at any time. If PLUS Credit Counseling is completed voluntarily and you are determined to have an adverse credit history by the U.S. Department of Education within 30 days of PLUS Credit Counseling completion, your PLUS Credit Counseling requirement will be considered to be fulfilled.

For additional information and to complete the PLUS credit counseling click here.

Private Student Loans

If you decide to take out a loan, make sure you understand who is making the loan and the terms and conditions of the loan. Student loans can come from the federal government or from private sources such as a bank or financial institution. Loans made by the federal government, called federal student loans, usually offer borrowers lower interest rates and have more flexible repayment options than loans from banks or other private sources. Learn more about the differences between federal and private student loans

We do not indicate any rank or preference for lenders (add link once created). Students may choose to borrow from one of the lenders on our Private Student Loans paid or from any other lender. Contact the lenders for specific terms and conditions.

Transfer Credit and Articulation

Transfer credits are credit hours completed successfully at one institution and transferred to Hiwassee College to be applied toward degree requirements.  Transfer credits are reviewed and articulated using official academic transcripts by Hiwassee’s Registrar’s Office.

College Navigator

Consumer information about each institution is posted on one site for student accessibility.

Net Price Calculator

The Net Price Calculator uses students’ answers to specific questions to calculate an estimated cost of attendance and expected financial aid eligibility.


The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) was enacted in 1974.  See the FERPA Regulations that implement that Act.

The primary purpose of FERPA is to protect the privacy of student information, and this protection is achieved by controlling access to and disclosure of students’ “education records,” as that term is defined in FERPA.

Faculty, staff, and administrative officers at Hiwassee College are required by FERPA to treat education records confidentially, unless a legal exception applies, or the student provides written consent to disclose.

Students also have the right to inspect and review their education records and to request that their records be amended.

Voter Registration

Voter registration information can be accessed at this site:

Constitution Day

The federal government requires each school that receives federal funding to hold an educational program and/or activities for Constitution Day on September 17th of each year.  If the 17th falls on a weekend, then the program will be held the following week.

For more information, please contact the Hiwassee College Student Affairs Office at 423-442-2001.

Withdrawal Procedures

Hiwassee College considers the act of registering for class(es) as the intention of the student to be enrolled at the college.  Should a student decide to take fewer hours than was originally registered for or to completely withdraw from all classes he must officially withdraw through the Registrar’s Office.  If the student does not officially withdraw or just stop attending classes that student’s ability to receive financial aid in the future could be placed in jeopardy.

Refunds and/or repayments of Title IV financial aid funds (Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, Federal Stafford Loans and Federal PLUS Loans) received by students who withdraw will be made as required by the Return of Title IV Funds regulations.  Refunds and/or repayments of institutional assistance will be made in accordance with the Refund Policy of the College.

Recruiter Compensation/Incentive Programs

Hiwassee College does not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on success in securing enrollments or financial aid to any individual engaged in recruiting or admission activities or in making decisions about awarding financial aid.


Hiwassee College’s representatives are strictly prohibited from making misleading statements in marketing, advertising, recruiting, or admissions services that has the likelihood or tendency to deceive or confuse a prospective student.  Areas covered by the misrepresentation prohibition include the nature of academic programs, the nature of financial charges, the employability of graduates, and the institution’s relationship with the US Department of Education.

Professional Judgment

Federal student aid regulations provide the potential for reevaluation of the FAFSA, if your financial circumstances change, and the income information you reported on your financial aid application may not be an accurate indicator of your ability to pay for educational costs. You and/or Your parent(s) must meet the special circumstances criteria’s. For additional information, please contact the Financial Aid Department at 423-420-1244. 

Dependency Overrides

Dependent students must report their parents’ income and assets on the FAFSA as well as their own. Parents of dependent students are expected to contribute toward the cost of their college education. Federal student aid programs are based on the concept that a dependent student’s parents have the primary responsibility for paying for their child’s education.

Sometimes extraordinary circumstances make it impossible for a student who does not meet the definition of independent to obtain his or her parents' financial information. In extremely rare cases, the Financial Aid Department may authorize a Dependency Override. For additional information, please contact the Financial Aid Department at 423-420-1244.

Leave of Absences

Hiwassee College does not offer Leave of Absences to its students.  Students must remain continuously enrolled with the summer term as the only exception.  Should a student need to take a semester off for personal reasons, the student will be considered as withdrawn from the College.  To return to the College in a subsequent semester, the student must apply for re-admission through the Admissions Office.  For more information, please contact the Admissions Office at 423-442-2001.

Consortium Agreements

Hiwassee College does not currently have any consortium agreements in place with other institutions of higher learning to allow dual-enrollment.

Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report

Hiwassee College is committed to assisting all members of the Hiwassee community in providing for their own safety and security.  The annual security and fire safety compliance document is available at the following link: Annual Security Report

If you would like to receive the combined Annual Security and Fire Safety Report that contains this information, you can stop by the Student Affairs Office in the Barker Learning Center.

The website contains information regarding campus security and personal safety, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures, and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus.  It also contains information about crime statistics for the three previous calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus.

This information is required by law and is provided by the Hiwassee College Director of Student Affairs Office.

Crime Log

The Director of Student Affairs’ Office maintains a crime log database.  The log includes the nature, date, time, and general location of each crime reported to the office.   The log is available for review upon request.

Fire Log

The Director of Student Affairs’ Office maintains a Fire Log of all fire related incidents occurring within the residence halls.  This log contains the incident type, date incident is reported, date and time of occurrence, general location of each reported incident type and the disposition of the incident if that information is known.  Inquiries regarding the Fire Log should be directed to the Director of Student Affairs.

Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention

Hiwassee College strives to create a safe learning environment for students and discourages the irresponsible use of alcohol, and drug abuse.  These are policies and procedures in place to protect our students from the dangers involved with this type of activity and counseling services available to help those in need.

Drug & Alcohol Abuse Prevention Policy: drug_and_alcohol_abuse_prevention_and_safety_policies

Drug and Alcohol Biennial Report with Alcohol and Drug Policy: drug_and_alcohol_biennial_report

Completion/Graduation Rates for Student Athletes

The graduation rate for athletes data is based on a two-year degree beginning with freshman students entering Hiwassee College in 2009.

2011 Graduation Rate for Athletes – 13.89%

2012 Graduation Rate for Athletes – 29.79%

Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act

The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA) requires a school that has an intercollegiate athletic program to make prospective students aware of its commitment to providing athletic opportunities for its men and women students.  The Hiwassee College EADA report can be accessed at this link:

Information Security

The Hiwassee College Code of Computing Practice can be accessed at this link: Code of Computing Practice

Copyright Infringement

Copyright infringement is the act of exercising, without permission or legal authority, one or more of the exclusive rights granted to the copyright owner under section 106 of the Copy Right Act (Title 17 of the United States Code).  These rights include the right to reproduce or distribute a copyrighted work.  In the file-sharing context, downloading or uploading substantial parts of a copyrighted work without authority constitutes an infringement.

Penalties for copyright infringement include civil and criminal penalties.  In general, anyone found liable for copyright infringement may be ordered to pay either actual damages or “statutory” damages

For more information, please see the website of the US Copyright Office at .

Teacher Preparation Program Report

Hiwassee College does not offer any academic programs that lead to teacher certification.  Therefore, the institution is exempt from providing a Teacher Preparation Program Report.

Gainful Employment

Hiwassee College only offers academic programs of study that lead to either an associate or bachelor degree.  Therefore, the federal regulations regarding gainful employment programs do not apply.